Author Topic: Seat disassembly / reference  (Read 13201 times)

Offline z50jai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • my son on the cz100
Re: Seat disassembly / reference
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »
Wow that is cool thx heaps for the info and pics. this is my next stage of resto and this info will help so much. We'll done.
Monkey on, Monkey nuts!!!

Offline S2tpw

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »
Thanks, it's not quite done, still got the fabric and the metal strip to add then it will be done. Having never done it before the overall effect I'm very happy with. Having looked around the Internet there is a massive variability in quality. This is the view from the top.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:10:29 PM by S2tpw »

Offline S2tpw

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 09:20:06 PM »
Not sure I ever shared the start point, pretty standard really with dents in the tank and general corrosion. I do understand the keep it untouched point of view, but I couldn't watch it corrode any further, the hole in the seat had let water in and the cover was brittle on anything but a summer day. Anyway dents straightened ( another thread maybe) and now to catch up a little. At least the painting is complete and tank looking better...

Offline scott t

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 12:08:44 AM »
I really liked the look of the bike when you got it but fully understand why you wanted to clean it up.
That is the condition I would like to start with, all there but needing attention.
The bike in the link I posted is just a little to clean to start with, Keep the pictures coming.

Scott

Offline S2tpw

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 12:45:20 AM »
There were other reasons too. The bike was in the family since '68, although not on the road since '77. My Uncle, who was the owner died around 1996 and my Dad took it on. He collected a few parts pre internet, but never got around to doing any work. In 2011 he asked if I wanted it, knowing he was unlikely to do anything and age getting the better of him. I had watched it from aged 6 (as a bike my size!) slowly getting worse, as it sat in an outside lean to shed and then in Dad's shed/ workshop. It had stopped being ridden when the side stand snapped, since it couldn't be easily left, so that was a given for re-work. An "off" in the ice had put dents in the tank and panels. On stripping the more I looked the worse it became with spidering paint and more rust than chrome. I just couldn't see it lasting another 50 years with spares diminishing. The upside is that the value, which given the history actually really isn't of too much interest, stands some investment, even if it isn't worth any more for being restored

The engine turns easily, but the cover is not fitted on the drive side, so I suspect work to be done. Priority is cycle parts, but I've been out of activity for much of this year and only just getting back to do stuff. I'll post more pictures as I go. Next is likely to be home plating, everything (not chrome) I pick up seems to need doing, so I might have a stab... Interested if anyone has any experience?

Offline scott t

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 02:22:27 AM »
Great story/history, I see you really had no choice and made a good decision, looking forward to your progress.
Scott